Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fair Use, Copyrights, and Creative Commons

(1) Include the notes you took on the resources here:
Four factors taken into consideration during copyright trials: “the nature of the use, the nature of the work used, the extent of the use, and its economic effect (the so-called “four factors”).”
Guidelines on fair use are just that, guidelines, not laws that have to be followed exactly in order to act lawfully.
“• Did the unlicensed use “transform” the material taken from the copyrighted work
by using it for a different purpose than that of the original, or did it just repeat
the work for the same intent and value as the original?
• Was the material taken appropriate in kind and amount, considering the nature
of the copyrighted work and of the use?
If the answers to these two questions are “yes,” a court is likely to find a use fair.”
( still typing the rest up since I wrote them on notebook paper..)

_________________________

(2) Please describe how the multimedia artifact you submitted for this assignment demonstrates your understanding of the following issues:

(a) Educational Fair Use- I used images from a website in order to educate people about copyrights. The information in the images was not originally intended for this purpose, so I transformed them for my own purpose of education. I also used a youtube video to teach people the basics of knitting, and although I didn’t alter it, I attributed it to the source.
(b) Creative Commons- I used an example of someone who has a creative commons license on her knitting pattern. I also used a link to the website hosting the pattern and used a picture of the product of the pattern. I was able to do this because her creative commons license gives me permission to.
_________________________

(3) Please provide a self-evaluation of your artifact using the following criteria:

Creativity- I think I portrayed this pretty creatively. Instead of just creating a straightforward lesson about Fair Use and Creative Commons, I made a presentation on a topic that you might not ordinarily think of at first when you think of those topics.

Artifact design- I think the design is alright. I’m not spectacular at using Google Presentations. However, I think it’s about as well designed as I can make it at this point.

Success in demonstrating knowledge of content- I think I demonstrated knowledge of the content well by instructing people to be aware of Creative Commons while simultaneously being aware of it myself to use the sources I did.

Effort put forth- I think the effort put forth into this assignment varies based on the aspects of it. It was hard to find an example of someone who used a Creative Commons License. It was also pretty hard trying to think of a presentation topic in the first place. However, I didn’t put forth 110% of my effort towards it, though I do have intentions of adding another media source to the presentation sometime in the future.

Level of learning attained- I think my level of learning attained was mediocre. I feel like I learned the gist of the material by reading and watching the sources provided. But they didn’t give me a very deep understanding of the material. So although I learned enough to be aware of Fair Use and Creative Commons, I probably couldn’t give a speech on it or write a paper on it, etc.
_________________________

(4) Provide feedback on the assignment so I can continually improve the course.
I thought this assignment was deceptively difficult. The videos were unexciting and the 24 page document was informative yet hard to retain. I think if there were more interesting ways for us to learn this, the actual assignment following the readings/videos would have been a better experience. Other than the lack of excitement in the readings/videos, I think the assignment was well thought out, and could be a good way of cementing the information in our minds. I think Step 2, was a good idea since you wanted us to create something based on what we learned. Overall it was a good assignment, and the only thing lacking was to be found with the interest level of the readings/videos.


My Artifact:
http://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dhqw3dhk_142vr47nct

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,

    You've done an excellent job with your journals. You have impressed me with your thoughtfulness and consideration of topics. Your artifact provides a useful example of ways in which one can use copyright-ed content in a lesson. Nice job!

    Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete